Thursday, May 28, 2009

English name, yes or no?

Do you have English name? Are you stubborn as me still keeping your mother tongue name in Canada?



No matter how you feel satisfied with your original name, having had an English name or not perhaps affects your career future in Canada if you are still a job seeker. According to a recent survey mounted by UBC, they found job applicants with John Smith and Steven Carter are more likely to get interview even job offer. People with names of Mohammad Rajput or Ming Zhang have much less chances to get selected. Or even having a hybrid name with Michelle Li or George Mustafa is gonna have more chances to beat those who has native name, ranked in middle.



Whether you believe or not, there's more or less discrimination among Canadian employers. It looks like to have a proper name in no matter where places are very important. Even we are not willing to see like that. Since we live in Canada, we'd better obey Canadian potential rules. Just sticking to be stubborn, you'll be miserable like me having not got job for about 1 year ( maybe I am too far-fetched). ;P



Anyway, when you in Rome, do Romans' do. That makes sense. I am stimulated by a lately got job lady enough to have an English name in order to put into my resume. I googled almost 1 hour, and my accomplishment is SHEVON. Because it pronounces similar as my Chinese name SI WEN. But the most concern is that it sounds like French name. Or either it sounds fancy. It really reflects me to recall some foreigners who study in China. In order to more fit in Chinese environment, they like to pick some unique Chinese words to be their names. Just like a famous Canadian in China named Da Shan, which mean big mountain. Or some name as Da Niu means big bull. Both of them are supposed to have their Chinese name meaning of huge, but it sounds silly. How about Shevon? Is it really necessary to look for job in English name? Or I am just waiting for my offer day with Si Wen? Sometime I am confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment